Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Serve H*Town - Tuesday & Wednesday Thoughts

Most of the time I (Scott) am the point person for trips but this mission week has been different. Heather Mooney has been in charge (and doing a GREAT job). It has been great to watch her and our students step up and lead. This freedom in the midst of controlled chaos :) has given me time to think. Here are a few thoughts...

Thought #1:
Over the last few days, we have seen receptive people in northwest Houston. They are grateful we are at their apartment complex. Many come and watch as we have fun and interact with their children. Several are opening up to God's truth. In a word they are: receptive.

Thought #2:
Many times we make missions or God's mission about us. We ask questions like, "What do I want to do?" or "Where do I want to go?" We end up with self-serving ministries that drive our self-serving goals. The way of Jesus calls us to deeper interactions that demand sacrifice. Fulfilling God's call will not be convenient BUT it will be worth it.

Thought #3:
The rawness of students draws me into a way of living that is more genuine than I know how to express. The approach is honest - "why are we doing this?" The attitude is real - "I am tired." The excitement is contagious - "I LOVE the kids in my VBS group!"

Thought #4:
It feels good to serve kids but our goal is singular: love because God first loved us. Faith driven by moralism is traded for a Kingdom mindset that sets Christ at the center. Self-serving mission work is traded for a sacrificial life that puts Christ at the center. Our desire to be heard is traded for the trust that God's work will be accomplished as Christ is placed at the center.


Side note: The blog is not letting me post pictures right now. I will try and publish a blog of pictures too!

No comments:

Post a Comment