Monday, January 10, 2011

The Beach























Before I tell you about our beach trip, I will mention our house so you don't think we have it all easy. The house is incredible though considering that earlier groups had to stay in tents.


12 of us plus Jeanson stay in 1 house. The rooms have bunkbeds with air mattresses. We share 2 toilets and 2 showers. It is a bit of a challenge when the water runs low. We use a generator, but it gets turned off at night. We have used a lot of batteries in the small camping fans we brought.


The beach was a nice treat. Mike and Brenda took us to a private beach away from town where the water was safe. It was beautiful and we got to eat spiny lobster (a welcome change from beans and rice). I must say though that the food has been good. A family from Canada came to volunteer for a week in an orphanage. They brought 80 kids to the beach while we were there. I took a picture, but then realized a baby boy had no clothes on, so I can't post that picture.


When they arrived, they were so excited. It was sweet to watch them splash and play in the shallow water. Then I quickly remembered we were in Haiti and these kids are just a handful of the orphans here. I admit I broke down for a moment. I couldn't hold back tears as I sat on the sand watching them. Things have affected each of us at different points. We also saw UN soldiers at the beach in uniform-another reminder of our location. Jeanson said he had never seen them there before.


As we end day 5, it gets harder to be away from our families. A hot shower is starting to sound nice. Tonight we are having to conserve water at our house since our tank is low, so only a few enjoyed a cold shower. We still are enjoying each other and know it is worth it. The kids start school tomorrow and we get to work on a foundation for the next classroom. Two good days of hard work ahead and then we return home on Wednesday.


Please continue to pray for strength and health as our trip nears the end. Please pray that what we have learned here is not soon forgotten.





No comments:

Post a Comment