


Friday evening the guys decided to create a baseball with duct tape and found a stick for a bat. I guess they didn't want to get beat again in soccer. So they started teaching Sam and quickly he smiled and laughed. Soon lots of other kids came to learn and play. Sports can bridge a communication gap quickly.
In the mornings and late evenings you can find our team on the house roof. I will send pics of our house later so you can see where we have been living. At night the sky is clear and full of stars. On Sat morning, a game of toss started with some neighbor children with us from the roof. You should be able to see the tent city behind them.
We are learning a few Creole words. The kids and adults alike are quick to teach us and correct our pronunciation. They love to ask our names.
Our team gets along so well. I could not have asked for a better group. You should be proud of them. To see 12 people live in one house and actually enjoy it is a miracle in itself. I am a better person for being around them this week. I would consider it a privilege.
We did have to face the reality today as we have grown closer to Sam that we can't just fix his life. It is heartbreaking to think that we won't see him again when we leave. The only way for me to reconcile is to think of Phillippians 4:8. I have to think on the things that are lovely and true and praiseworthy, or I will not be able to get past the sadness of the circumstances. I have to be thankful that we have these moments to share joy with him and that he got to eat a good meal since he worked with us. They are trying to avoid handouts here as they strive to teach principles for being self sufficient. When we have so much it is a hard pill to swallow. At least Sam gets to go to school on scholarship. That is praiseworthy.
No comments:
Post a Comment